Re: Minutes: DOM3 Events Telcon, 31 March 2010

From: (wrong string) 坊野 博典 <hbono@google.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:09:49 +0900
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Greetings,

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> composition start/end and cancelable
>
>  smaug: Got some feedback regarding the ability to cancel IMEs in GTK
>  in Unix-based OS
>  ... didn't seem to be able to cancle the IME on these platforms.
>  ... need to get further clarification.
>
>  Travis: I also had some feedback that I'll send to the list.

Thank you for noticing this and sorry for my long absence.

I once received a bug report that Chrome could not cancel the IME on
GTK+iBus and investigated this issue.
To write from the conclusion, this feedback is correct for some IMEs.
If I recall correctly, both Firefox and Chrome calls
gtk_im_context_reset() (*1) to cancel the IME on GTK. Even though this
API can cancel the IME on older input-method modules (e.g. scim,
simple, etc.), some newer input-method modules (e.g. ibus, uim) do not
implement this API correctly and they cannot cancel the IME on these
modules. (As a workaround for this issue, Chrome also calls
gtk_im_context_focus_out() (*3) to cancel the IME even though it
looked weird.) So, this feedback is correct in terms that
gtk_im_context_reset() (the standard GTK API that cancels the IME)
doesn't cancel some IMEs. Nevertheless, we have a workaround for this
problem.

(*1) <http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkIMContext.html#gtk-im-context-reset>
(*2) <https://dev.mozilla.jp/2010/01/gtk_im_context_reset_not_working/>
(in Japanese)