Re: HTMLness bit on script-created documents

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:49:47 +0000 (UTC)
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Olli@pettay.fi
Cc: whatwg List <whatwg@whatwg.org>, www-dom@w3.org
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Gecko currently looks at the doctype passed to createDocument() in order to
> decide what interfaces to offer on the returned document and in order to
> determine if the HTMLness bit gets set.

All interfaces should be supported, per HTML5.

The bit should not be set, per HTML5.

> DOM Level 3 Core mentions that DOM Level 2 HTML specifies a method
> called createHTMLDocument(). I see such a method in DOM Level 2 HTML CR
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-DOM-Level-2-20000510/html.html but I don't
> see it in the REC http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html. Gecko
> doesn't implement this method but Opera and WebKit do.
>
> Is there a reason why HTML5 doesn't mention createHTMLDocument()?

As you say, it wasn't in the DOM2 HTML REC. I'd rather not have it at all,
if we don't need it.

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Olli Pettay wrote:

> The HTMLness wasn't implemented because of ACID3. It was implemented
> because it was wanted that .createDocument() could return documents
> which might get created in other ways too (like loading a page). So it
> is possible to create svg/html/xhtml/etc documents.

That's the interface, but why the HTMLness bit? (Affects things like
document.write().)

Unless there's a good use case, I would suggest we don't add a way to
create such documents just for the sake of it.