Re: DOMTimeStamp interface not defined in L3 events...

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
>> A real usecase for timestamps would be great.
>> Otherwise we could deprecate them and browsers could make .timeStamp
>> no-op which has always value 0.
>
> What about syncing between 2 instantiations on 2 different browsers for,
> say, a shared whiteboard.
This (and any other usecases I can think of) could likely be achieved
by a listener to the event simply requesting the current timestamp
from JavaScript when it is fired. And even still, this is only as
synchronized as the synchronization of the 2 computers' clocks.

> Maybe I'm being dense, but why can't browsers get the system clock time?

I believe the concern is the performance costs associated with getting
the current system time for every event.

--Jacob