Re: convertKeyIdentifier

Hi, Mark-

Here's the facts as I see them... others should feel free to jump in
with corrections or clarifications, or even other use cases or requirements.

The context is the DOM3 Events spec [1].  We are discussing what the
values for some of the key values should be... we have constructed a
level of abstraction above scan codes, keyCode/charCode, key mappings,
dead keys, and all that, into a set of "key identifiers".  (Note that a
"key identifier" is actually the current modified and mapped value for
the key, nothing like a keyCode or scan code).  We are discussing what
the nature of the value should be, in the context of an API for key events.

For historical context, key identifiers were specified originally as a
set of key names (for control keys, etc., like "Enter", "Tab", or "F1")
and a set of Unicode strings ("U+xxxx").  This is how it last stood when
work was stopped on the spec in 2003, and published as a W3C Note. (It
was a bit muddled in some details, but a good start.)

We have recently taken up the spec again and are revisiting the key
identifier issue, and in looking at the model, are discussing what the
best return values are for a particular keystroke.  In the current
model, each key identifier has one or more of the following "value
types": a key name (like "Shift"), a character value (like "w"), or a
Unicode string (like "U+0308").

With the key names (those that don't represent a character or dead key
that has a Unicode code point), we seem to be resolved on the full
multi-character string.

However, with the Unicode value, there is some contention about which is
the best way to do this.  We know we want to make it very easy for
script authors to get the character representation of the code point,
but we also want them to be able to get the code point, for things like
"\u0308" (diaeresis dead key).  This is obviously important for
internationalization.

We also know that we want people to easily be able to represent the key
identifiers in markup (such as the value for @accesskey, perhaps), so it
should be representable there as well.  (My assumption there is that
they should be able to use any of the character value, the code point
string, or the key name, as appropriate and convenient.)

We also want to allow people to test the Unicode range of the key
identifier, to see if it falls into a certain orthography, general
category, etc..

Finally, we want this to be as simple as possible to understand,
implement, and use, while not sacrificing any potential functionality.

As a secondary goal, we may want to allow people to convert the
resulting key identifier (or, indeed, any string) into different
characterizations (entity, code point, character, key name), not as part
of an event, but in the general case.

A few mechanisms have been proposed.  One centers around a single
attribute value on the keyboard event (".key"), which may resolve to the
most author-friendly value, which can then perhaps be manipulated (there
are various permutations of this idea).  The other involves an
additional attribute (".codePoint"), that gives the Unicode code point,
if one exists.

Any insight the i18n folks could shine here would be appreciated.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs