Re: convertKeyIdentifier

Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 9/22/09 12:56 PM):

>>> I don't understand why we cannot have a single list and rather need to
>>> have various identifiers for everything.
>>
>> Because there are different uses for the different values, and the
>> open Web platform currently doesn't have any way to deal with that.
>> This happens to be a convenient place to do that, especially in the
>> context of the complexity of key events and i18n.
>
> What are these different uses? As I understand the current specification
> keyIdentifier will only return the first value so what is the use for
> the other values?

Please refer to my earlier email in this thread.

>>> Well, I disagree. I do not see the point in having this method as I do
>>> not see the need for having multiple representations for everything in
>>> the first place in the context of DOM Level 3 Events.
>>>
>>> Furthermore I think putting createEvent on Document was a mistake in to
>>> begin with. Especially with the design we have now where DOM events are
>>> often used outside the context of documents. (Think of e.g. Web
>>> Workers.)
>>
>> Noted.
>
> Where?

In the definition of convertKeyIdentifier() in the spec, where I track
most issues.

I also have some issues noted in the wiki (mostly resolved, now), and I
use Tracker for protracted issues.  When we go to LC, I'll have to be
more strict about using Tracker.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs