Question about key identifiers

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:11:22 -0700
To: "www-dom@w3.org list" <www-dom@w3.org>

When the key identifier list has multiple equivalent key identifiers
for a certain key, which should implementations provide in
KeyboardEvents? Here is an example:

'Q'
'U+0051'
     The Latin Capital Letter Q key (Q).

When the user presses Q, will the keyIdentifier attribute of the
keydown, keyup and keypress events contain the string "Q", "U+0051",
or either one at the implementation's discretion?

My preference would be that implementations MUST use the first (human-
readable) name, as that is the most natural.

I think it would be a serious problem if implementations were allowed
to provide any of the keyIdentifiers, as then scripts would have to
check for each possibility, and likely authors wouldn't get this right.

Currently all the examples seem to use the "U+0051" style, but nothing
seems to make that a normative requirement.

Please clarify this in the spec, and if the human-readable style is
made a requirement, please update the examples to use it instead of
the U+00xx style.

Regards,
Maciej