Re: [D3E] focusin/focusout

Hi, Maciej-

Thanks for the quick reply.
Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 9/15/09 3:17 AM):

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
>
>> I did adapt focusin and focusout to the existing DOM event interfaces
>> a little: rather than add the orginal (and useful) IE 'toElement' and
>> 'fromElement' properties, I mapped them to to the 'target' and
>> 'currentTarget' properties, respectively.
>
> Instead of 'currentTarget', I'd suggest adding the 'relatedTarget'
> attribute from mouse events to focus events. 'target' and
> 'currentTarget' already have well-defined and useful meanings for all
> events, so I don't think we should change the meaning of these for focus
> events.

I considered that, but it would also require a change to either the
Event or UIEvent interface, and I didn't think that was necessary...
'currentTarget' actually describes it pretty well, since focusin happens
before the focus shift, and it there doesn't seem to be a current value
for 'currentTarget' on focusin or focusout events.

Note that I did not change the behavior of focus, blur, DOMFocusIn, or
DOMFocusOut events... they all still have identical values for 'target'
and 'currentTarget', which was pretty consistent in my tests (though I
didn't test IE).  Also, I forgot to link to the spec draft itself, so
that might make it clearer. [1]

Anyway, that was my reasoning, but I'm don't feel strongly about it.  If
other folks think that we should add 'relatedTarget' to Event or UIEvent
instead, I'm content to do so.

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-uievent-event-order

Regards-