Proposal: addKeyListener and removeKeyListener Methods

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:36:29 -0400
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Hi, DOM3 Events fans-

Since DOM3 Events now has a more robust (and standardized) keyboard
event model, it seemed appropriate to consider more closely how it might
be used.  As an input device, the keyboard is particularly complicated,
with many keys having dedicated functionality.  To some degree, I
addressed this in the description of default actions of the 'keydown'
event [1], but there have been many times where I wished to listen only
to specific keys.  It's easy enough to filter out the keys using the
"if...else" or "switch" statements in the event handler, but it would be
nice to attach different listeners to different keys to dispatch to
different event handlers.

Thus, I've tentatively added a proposal for new 'addKeyListener' and
'removeKeyListener' methods to the Event interface, which you can review
and comment on in the latest draft. [2]

I'm open to suggestions to improve this idea, and obviously it depends
on implementers' willingness to include it, but I would personally like
some mechanism to do this.

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#event-type-keydown
[2]