Re: Can Dispatch canDispatch()?

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:20:50 -0400
Hi, Sean-

Sean Hogan wrote (on 8/26/09 8:34 PM):

> I can't read [2], but [1] and [3] are clear that canDispatch(evType)
> tests if the implementation WILL generate events of specified type. The
> current text (which says CAN generate) is ambiguous, but I would now
> assume this was to match the (inappropriate) method name.
>
> If this method could be implemented reliably then it should be kept. It
> probably wouldn't be so I suppose it should be dropped.
>
> What would count as proper use cases and requirements for the
> replacement?

The same as with any feature request... any solid explanation of a
real-world use that can't already be done via script, and which
implementers agree they would support, would serve as a use case.  The
requirements would be those things which must be solved, or must be
avoided, in designing the feature to solve the use case.

> Surely these have already been presented?

Could you elaborate?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs