Re: Composition Events in DOM3 Events

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:04:15 -0400
To: Olli@pettay.fi
CC: Daniel Danilatos <daniel@danilatos.com>, www-dom@w3.org, Hironori Bono <hbono@chromium.org>, Masayuki Nakano <mnakano@mozilla-japan.org>
Hi, Olli-

Thanks for your responses.  Replies inline...

Olli Pettay wrote (on 8/26/09 4:30 PM):
> On 8/20/09 12:23 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
>>
>> 3) order of events:
>> In your proposal, the examples showed 'compositionEnd' events following
>> 'textInput' events. It seemed to me that the order should be reversed...
>> that the end of the composition mode (after the IME dialog closes, etc.)
>> would "trigger" the 'textInput' event. This is how I represented it in
>> DOM3 Events. Does this violate existing implementations? Is there some
>> rationale I'm missing to have the order as you proposed?
>
> textInput should be after compositionend.

Just to confirm: this is as currently implemented in Mozilla, right?

>> 4) canceling a composition:
>> In your examples, you include an example of an IME operation being
>> canceled. Should we add a 'compositionCancel' event, or a
>> 'cancelCompositionEvent' method to account for this?
> Or is it just enough if compositionend.data is null (in which case
> textInput doesn't fire).

My rationale was that authors might want to detect that a composition
event was canceled.  If we make it consistent that compositionend.data
is null when canceled, then that case is satisfied.  I've updated the
spec to that effect.

>> 5) event flow:
>> Since Composition Events are, in some sense, happening outside the
>> normal document (in that the UA or OS provides the composition context,
>> how should these operate in the event flow? Should these events bubble
>> or be cancelable?
> I see no reason why they shouldn't bubble.
> But cancelable... what would it mean for them to be cancelable?
> Maybe cancelling compositionend should prevent textInput to fire.
> Cancelling compositionstart could prevent IME input? (Have to check if
> that is easily implementable in common OSes)

I look forward to any concrete evidence, or I will simply punt on this
and keep the spec as-is.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs