Re: Deprecating DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut (was: DOMActivate vs. Click)

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:56:17 +0100
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
CC: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

[snipped other earlier things - see thread history if necessary]

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Stewart
> Brodie<stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
> > Does that mean that for compatibility, I now need to raise focusin,
> > DOMFocusIn *and* focus events?  I think that would mean I now need to
> > raise 12 separate events just to transfer the focus from one node to
> > another in a different document!
> >

> - is worth commenting on.
>
> Focus is implemented in different browsers.

Although this is now being addressed, historically, focus-related events
have been extremely poorly specified.  Sequences of events, behaviour if an
event handler calls a focus() or blur() method on something else - all
undefined.  Given that, it's unsurprising that it's all a mess.

I implemented DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut too, but until this thread, I'd never
heard of onfocusin.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer