Re: Case-Sensitive of Event Type

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:46:46 +0200
To: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:40:42 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> My questions:
>
> * what are the rationales for making it case-sensitive?

I think it was because of the introduction of namespaces. (Which I still think we should remove again.)

> * what do implementations currently do?

Gecko/WebKit are case-sensitive; Opera is case-insensitive, but we're planning on changing that.

> * is it more author-friendly to make/leave it case-insensitive?

It would probably be more author friendly because not all event names are lowercase.

> * if it is made case-insensitive, should it be normalized in the DOM for
> easier comparison and interop?

Probably... though making everything case-sensitive might be easier and more compatible given that Gecko/WebKit already do it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/