Re: Deprecating DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut

Hi, Jon-

Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 7/22/09 9:26 PM):

> On Jul 22, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>
>> These event handlers are commonly used to create styling effects for
>> node or more importantly related nodes that cannot be styled using CSS
>> selectors.

Can you point to an example of a page that uses DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusout
to do this, rather than focus/blur?

>> If an element receives keyboard focus what event can be used to update
>> visual styling?
>
> The "focus" and "blur" events can be used for this. "DOMFocusIn" and
> "DOMFocusOut" largely duplicate their functionality.

More to the point, we aren't sure that DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusout are
actually in use, given that they aren't particularly widely implemented.
  Opera does implement them, but I'm not sure what other user agents do.

>Although for purely
> visual styling, I would recommend CSS :hover effects over script.
>
>> If we don't need focusin and focusout, then I assume mouseover and
>> mouseout will also be deprecated.
>>
>> Focus styling is not very well implemented in browsers or by web
>> developers.
>
> No one is proposing taking away focus events. The question is just
> whether we need to have two separate sets of them.

Well, I've also introduced focusin/focusout, in addition to focus/blur,
and deprecated DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusout in favor of focusin/focusout,
since that's what authors have to use for IE.  That means there are
actually 3 different sets of focus properties in the spec at the present
moment, though only 2 sets are not deprecated.

Jon, I invite you to read the spec [1] and make sure that your use case
is covered.  We aren't trying to take away functionality, just clean it
up a bit where it doesn't match content and implementations.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs