Re: DOMActivate vs. Click

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:35:44 +0200
To: "Jacob Rossi" <t-jacobr@microsoft.com>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "Travis Leithead" <travil@microsoft.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:16:14 +0200, Jacob Rossi <t-jacobr@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Ok. That makes sense. Given that, is DOMActivate simply left in DOM L3
> Events to support backwards compatibility with DOM L2 events? Or are
> there still use cases which it solves that other events do not?

I think the sole reason we have DOMFocusIn, DOMFocusOut, and DOMActivate is political. I'm not sure if that changed to backwards compatibility at this point, but I doubt it.

DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut have been retained on request of the Forms WG and for DOMActivate I do not really remember. Fact of the matter is that focus/blur/click work fine and already are platform independent and much better understood by authors of Web applications.

I'd be very happy if could consider yet again dropping DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut/DOMActivate.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/