Re: Mutation events

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:33:09 +1100
To: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
CC: DOM public list <www-dom@w3.org>
Olli Pettay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tested mutation events a bit.
>

> Whenever mutation listeners are used, the relevant DOM operations slow
> down a lot in all browser engines. The slow down is up to 10-20x.

In the browser at least, almost all the node-inserted/removed operations
would require a rendering update, and many attr-modified operations
could too. I expect most mutation handlers would also kick off a change
in rendering or even access to a network resource. Is the overall
browser response time (including screen / network updates) degraded?