RE: [DOML3Events] ACTION-267 Proposal for event iterator

From: Joseph Pecoraro <joepeck02@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:32:15 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
Cc: Joseph Pecoraro <joepeck02@gmail.com>
I'd like to keep this conversation going.  I've been missing
enumerating event listeners for a while at least for debugging
purposes.  This may not be a really good use case in terms of features
enabled by enumeration, but it would most certainly be useful.

Right now to debug a problem I can use profiling (requires browser
support) to determine if the correct Listeners are fired or not, if an
inappropriate listener gets fired, or if a 3rd party listener gets
fired.  I'd love to be able to just ask the element what listeners it
has for debugging purposes.

I can't think of any feature wise improvements that enumeration of
listeners can provide.  The moment I think of one I'll send it in!!
And, I do actually see some of the security possibilities (removing
user added listeners, logging listeners added by users and sending
that data to the server).  But, I think Charles McCathieNevile's
suggestion of making browser added events private, etc. solves most of
the problems.

There was a very neat tool that could debug event listeners based on
Javascript Library's Caches of event listeners added via the library.
It can't always work but it did a heck of a good job:

Unfortunately the site is down right now and I only have access to
Google's cached version:

Joseph Pecoraro