Re: HTML5 dependencies on DOM3 Events

Daniel Danilatos wrote:
> For our uses (Google Wave) I'd be happy with batched mutation events as
> long as they contain enough information to reverse their effects.

Note that mutation events as currently specified do not, by the way....

> That said, I'd much rather not rely on mutation events at all, and instead
> have it so that we get complete, cancellable, intent-informing events
> *before* the browser does things to the dom.

Which sounds like a pretty distinct use case from what a lot of other
people want, which is knowing when some other script does something else
to the DOM.

It also sounds like you don't care about modifications to random parts
of the DOM, but specifically to the DOM inside a contentEditable region,
right?

> The key issue we have is that we edit our own semantic model, that is
> rendered as HTML, and maintain a delicate mapping between the two. Thus
> we need to be 100% in control of what the native editor does to the HTML
> dom in a contentEditable region (currently DOM Mutation events are used
> as an unpleasant catch-all).

Yeah, it really doesn't sound like mutation events are the ideal
mechanism here.  Thank you for explaining the use case!

-Boris