Re: HTML5 dependencies on DOM3 Events

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Doug Schepers wrote:

> > * Defining when user interaction events actually fire
> >    There is currently no spec that defines when events like 'click' and
> >    'keydown' and so on actually fire. (There are some constraints defined
> >    on those events, but no actual requirement that they fire.) I expect
> >    this would be a separate spec than DOM3 Events, but it is pretty
> >    important and would help in making HTML5 self-consistent. Right now I've
> >    mostly just guessed at what such a spec would say and tried to keep
> >    within such boundaries (e.g. in the definition of Interactive Content).
> >
> >       http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#interactive-content
>
> Are you asking for the spec to say something along the lines of, "The
> 'click' event is fired when the user presses a button on the pointer
> device, or otherwise activates the pointer in a manner that simulates
> such an action." Or something more abstract (or more concrete)?

Something like that, maybe a little more concrete, e.g. "When the user
presses a button on the pointer device, a 'mousedown' event MUST be
dispatched at the element that is rendered at the highest z-order position
below the current pointer position, with the event set having the
following values: [...]" followed by the default action being to fire
'mouseup' or 'click' or whatever, with the same detail for that, and also
with rules for how to handle mouseover, mouseenter, mouseleave, etc. Same
for keyboards, mousewheels, etc. Basically any user interaction event.