Mutation events - Opera's view ACTION-320

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:24:22 +0200
To: "DOM public list" <www-dom@w3.org>
In summary, we implemented these ages ago. We think the proposed changes
would make the events more performant but less useful.

If mutation events simply went away it would improve performance, of
course. But there are some real use cases for them, as they are. So we
are not sure if the proposed changes are actually a good idea.

The use cases we identified are for script libraries, since one
library doesn't necessarily know what other scripts are running, and
writing a script that checks what else is running seems prohibitive.

(There is also the ARIA example, where certain attributes need to be
watched in some way. These could be done in a way other than mutation
events, but that discussion is orthogonal I think).

cheers

Chaals