Re: DOM2 - Range- ambiguity in surroundContents exceptions

My take is that you are correct.

In the case where the container is CharacterData, Comment, or
ProcessingInstruction, the exception should only be raised if the
immediate ancestor of the container of the start of the Range is of a
type that does not allow children of the type of newParent. The goal
being that the operation insertNode() should succeed in order for
surroundContents to succeed as well.

Even insertNode(), while being clear in its description that the Text
node split in two, fails to address this case in its description of the
exception. In effect, the container of the start of the Range is
effectively modified prior to the insertion.

In addition, insertNode only mentions Text nodes but forgets about
ProcessingInstruction or Comment nodes.

Philippe