Re: How is the hover pseudo-class translated into the DOM?

From: Joćo Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:46:27 +0100
To: Yansky <thegooddale@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>

Na , Yansky <thegooddale@gmail.com> escreveu:

> Hi, I was wondering about the :hover pseudo-class in style rules and how
> that translates into the DOM. Is it translated into the browser as a
> Javascript-type mouseover event? Would it be possible to read the style
> rules set to the hover pseudo-class via onmouseover?
>
> Cheers,
> Yansky.

mouseover/mouseout are fired if the mouse is moved either over a child of
the target or another node in the document tree, so you need to check if
the element to where the mouse is going is a descendant of the previous
node. Like, onmouseover, check that target is a descendant of
relatedTarget.
Then, since :hover styles are applied dynamically, without any script
intervention, you can read the computed styles for some element in the
DOM, using getComputedStyle(...)