Re: Are there any license limitations to redistribute DOM IDL files?

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:12:04 -0500
To: Dimitry Golubovsky <golubovsky@gmail.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 09:11 -0500, Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on an (opensource) project; part of it is based on DOM
> IDL files converted into declarations in other language (Haskell). It
> would be convenient to include the DOM IDL files into the project
> distribution rather than have every user of the project to download
> from the w3 website and unzip them before conversion.
>
> Are there any license limitations on such redistribution, or is it
> advised that these files are to be downloaded from w3.org every time?

Look for the Copyright notice section in the DOM specs. With DOM Level
3, you'll find the following:
[[
The bindings within this document are published under the W3C®Software
Copyright Notice and License. The software license requires "Notice of
any changes or modifications to the W3C files, including the date
changes were made." Consequently, modified versions of the DOM bindings
must document that they do not conform to the W3C standard; in the case
of the IDL definitions, the pragma prefix can no longer be 'w3c.org'; in
the case of the Java language binding, the package names can no longer
be in the 'org.w3c' package.
]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/copyright-notice.html

The W3C Software copyright notice and license does give you the right to
distribute the bindings.

Philippe