Re: [dom3core] Cross-document appending of nodes

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:01:07 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> FYI: For compatibility reasons with other browsers and websites (which
> rely on their behavior) Opera now does an implicit call to adoptNode
> when appendChild, insertBefore or replaceChild are invoked.

Intetesting.  Can you possibly elucidate on why this was needed?  IE/Windows
does not exhibit this behavior, and we've been trying to eliminate it in Gecko
(because it causes security issues in many cases); I'm hoping that this behavior
will be gone in Firefox 3.

Are there specific sites that do browser-sniffing and serve different content to
IE and other browsers, with the "other browsers" content broken?  If so,
wouldn't it make more sense for Opera, Mozilla, and Apple to evangelize them
than to start reverse-engineering each others bugs here?

-Boris