Re: DOM3 Core: Namespaces Algorithms vs xml: and xmlns:

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:50:04 -0500
To: Ray Whitmer <ray@personallegal.net>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org

> would seem quite wrong to be using xml or xmlns prefixes in content.
I'm not so sure about xml. For example, an XPath might be looking for
instances of xml:space or similar reserved attributes which do become part
of the data model. XPath does use qnames to specify such searches, and
XPaths may appear in content.

XPath doesn't consider namespace declarations to be attributes, so I don't
have a similar usecase there. I'm not sure that it can't arise, though.

(Comments about the use of implicitly-bound prefixes in content withheld; I
lost that argument long ago.)