Re: Namespaces in XML 1.x test suite contribution

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:30:14 +0100
To: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: xml-names-editor@w3.org, public-xml-testsuite@w3.org, www-dom@w3.org

* Richard Tobin wrote:
>>   * <xmlns:foo/>
>
>http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-names-19990114-errata#NE05 says:
>
>  The prefix xmlns is used only to declare namespace bindings
>
>(and Namespaces 1.1 says the same).  This should be changed to use "MUST".

I note that DOM implementations do not raise a NAMESPACE_ERR exception
for .createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/', 'xmlns:foo') or
for .createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/', 'xmlns'). If such
a change is made to the namespaces recommendations DOM Level 3 Core
should be updated accordingly (it either must not allow creation of such
elements or the namespace fixup algorithm must report an error if the
tree includes such an element). There may be similar problems in other
specifications.