Re: [dom3core] WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR

From: Thomas Much <thomas@snailshell.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:36:32 +0100
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

am 01.12.2005 2:10 Uhr schrieb Maciej Stachowiak unter mjs@apple.com:

> The DOM Level 3 Core (and Level 1 and Level 2) spec requires
> WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR to be raised in many cases where a child is
> inserted into a document other than its owner document, for example,
> here for appendChild:
[...]
> I'd like to request an erratum to make raising this exception
> optional.

Yes, please. Like Safari, we've had exactly the same problem (following the
specs too closely) in iCab, and we're now about to violate the specs and not
throw WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR, because our customers do not care about standards
- they just want to see web pages that other browsers can display.

By making this exception optional (not required), there should not be any
need to rewrite existing non-browser DOM implementations IMHO. Or maybe the
erratum can be restricted to browser implementations due to "legacy issues".

bye, Thomas