Re: "iframe" and dom problem

June Lee wrote:

> self.document.getElementById("myEmbed").contentDocument.lastModified
> : self.document.getElementById("myEmbed").contentDocument means
>   document object of "myEmbed" element. it is document object.
> (DOM Level 2, works in Mozilla not in [IE]).
>
> self.document.getElementById("myEmbed").document.lastModified
> : self.document.getElementById("myEmbed").document means
>   document object of "myEmbed" element. it is document object.
> (DOM Level 2, works in IE. not in Mozilla).

Actually the latter will not work in IE. That will access the
lastModified property of the *current* document (in which the object
resides). Currently there is no direct way (through the properties of
the object) in IE of accessing the document of a page loaded into an
object via the data attribute. As noted by a forum post [1], the window
of the document loaded into the object is included in the window.frames
collection. This is not much use to you, however, in XHTML 1.0 Strict.

My conclusion is that <object> support simply isn't consistent or mature
enough to be used as a universal solution. Instead, I would recommend
use of XHTML 1.0 Transitional for pages that require iframes, as the
<iframe> element is much more well-supported.

[1] - http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/6539.htm

--
Brad Fults
NeatBox