Re: Why is DOMDocument derived from DOMNode ??

From: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:33:12 -0600
To: www-dom@w3.org

On Mar 20, 2004, at 3:06 AM, Jaspreet Singh wrote:

> Prompt replies make me so happy :)
>
> I tried returning the documentElement from getFirstChild but it didn't
> work.... What worked was returning the first child of the
> documentElement.
> Is this right?

I would recommend reading a tutorial on DOM.  Almost any good
introductory XML book should have one.  There are also many on the web,
see http://xmlfiles.com/dom/, http://www.xml.com/pub/rg/141,
http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.0/tutorial/doc/JAXPDOM.html
General question on usage should be directed to the users mailing list
associated with your DOM implementation of choice, for example,
xerces-j-users@xml.apache.org.

If you implementing the DOM for a class assignment, you should
investigate using the DOM Test Suite (http://www.w3.org/DOM/Test) to
check your interpretation of the specification.  If you are
implementing the DOM and it is not for a class assignment, then you
might want to reconsider since there are no shortage of existing
implementations for common programming languages and platforms.