DOM 3 LS - LSSerializer.writeToString encoding declaration

From: Kasimier Buchcik <kbuchcik@4commerce.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:01:44 -0500
To: <www-dom@w3.org>

Hi,

I'm trying to implement the method LSSerializer.writeToString and would
like to know what encoding declaration should be written if serializing
the document node. Should it always be "UTF-16", or should it be the
current xmlEncoding (e.g. ISO-8859-1)? What about if the DOMString is
UTF-16LE encoded, as in our implementation: should it always be "UTF-16"
or "UTF-16LE" in this case?

Any hints? I did not find any explicit information. The specs say: "this
method completely ignores all the encoding information available", but
I'm not sure about what this really means.

Please write to me directly, because I'm not on this mailing list
currently, since I get no response if subscribing with
"www-dom-request@w3.org" on my current account.

Thanks in advance,

Kasimier