Re: L3 Core: "this", "reference" and 'given" nodes muddled in description of compareDocumentPosition and related constants

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:50:13 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org

>I'd recommend using "this node" (the node on which the method is
>invoked) and "other node" (the node passed as a parameter) and remove
>mentions of "given" and "reference" nodes in this context.

As an alternative to "other node", we could also consider "parameter node"
or "node passed as a parameter"... a bit more verbose but avoids any
question about the intent.

(I'd almost be tempted to render "this" in boldface when we're using it as
a keyword to signify the-node-which-is-performing-the-operation, but I
don't think I can see the WG on that idea.)

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Rafe Culpin, in r.m.filk