Expected behavior on getFeature() when feature does not introduce a specialized interface?

From: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:14:12 -0600
To: www-dom@w3.org

I was tranliterating some getFeature from L&S to validation and stumbed
onto this case:

boolean state = domImpl.getFeature("Validation", "3.0");

Validation does not introduce a specialized interface for DOM
implementations (neither does Events) and the spec does not give
explicit guidance to the expected return value.  My instinct is that it
should be null.  The wording for DOMImplementation could be:

Returns an object which implements the specialized APIs of the specified
feature and version, if any, or null if there is no object which
implements interfaces associated with that feature
+ or the feature does not define a specialization of DOMImplementation.