Re: node.insertBefore(child, child)

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:55:59 -0500
To: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

>>> Is there any code anywhere that depends on Xerces raising an exception?
>> I don't know.
>IMHO this should be an important part of the decision here. :-)

Xerces is just an illustrative case. We can't contact every possible Xerces
user; we can't contact everyone who has ever implemented a DOM.

If they met the spec as it was written, they're compliant, even if the way
they met it isn't the way you'd prefer. Some things really were left as
quality-of-implementation and flexibility-for-performance-tuning issues.

So what you're proposing here is an erratum against DOM Level 1. Errata
have a pretty high activation energy barrier to jump over or tunnel through
before they can be approved; "it might be nice" or "we would have done it
that way if we'd thought of it" generally don't do it. I think this one's
going to fall into the latter category, but good luck...

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Rafe Culpin, in r.m.filk