Re: Hesitation on setAttributeNS

From: Andrew Clover <and-w3@doxdesk.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:12:47 +0000
To: www-dom@w3.org

Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:

> I surely hope no other prefix-less attribute can be considered to
> have a namespace in XML :) I didn't find it clear from the text that
> setting a nsURI and no prefix was allowed.

Ah! I see what you mean properly now. :-)

As I read it, the prefix of an Attr node is, in the face of namespace
normalisation, not fixed, so it makes sense that a non-namespace-well-formed
situation (namespace w/ null prefix) should be allowed to exist temporarily
- it could be used by authors to create attributes in a namespace without
caring what prefix will later be used in the serialisation.

My interpretation, anyway.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and@doxdesk.com