Re: Call for Implementations: DOM Level 3 Core and Load/Save are W3C Candidate Recommendations

Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org> wrote:

> Call for Implementations: DOM Level 3 Core and Load/Save

This implementation:

  http://www.doxdesk.com/software/py/pxdom.html

has been updated to all features of the November CRs with the exception of:

  - external resource resolution & loading
  - validation
  - asynchronous LSParsers
  - format-pretty-print

(Future versions may support external entities and pretty-printing; the others
are unlikely.)

> the Director concluded that it is not obvious that checking the
> normalization of character, as defined in the Character Model of the Web,
> should be the default.

I agree. Character normalisation is not specifically a DOM issue, is
frequently not relevant to the application, and is non-trivial to implement.

> Given the lack of implementation commitments regarding character
> normalization, the DOM Working Group considers it "at risk".

pxdom supports it where the native language libraries contain the
functionality - unicodedata.normalize in Python 2.3+.

IMO requiring all DOMs support character normalization even on platforms
where such libraries are not easily available is not desirable - and I'm not
convinced the feature should be 'on if supported' by default in LSSerializer,
either. But including it as an optional feature does no harm.

Further comments on spec to follow...

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and@doxdesk.com