Re: What exception to raise?

-----Original Message-----
From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
To: "Vadim O. Ustiansky" <ustiansk@sai.msu.ru>
Date: 10 Sep 2003 17:58:07 -0400
Subject: Re: What exception to raise?

Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> When more than one exception is possible, then it
> doesn't matter which one your implementation chooses
> to throw, as long as it raises one of them.

This, I'm sure, is going to irk developers using DOM3. If the precedence is being left undefined so that browser-authors can determine the best error to throw on a case-by-case basis, leaving it out of the scope of the document until, perhaps, DOM4, then I suppose I understand; you can only accomplish so much in one standard.

But at some point developers will want to be able to predict for any set of errors what one error they will receive. Otherwise, a try/catch in a language like Java or Javascript is going to produce varying results for the same error browser to browser. This is sure to be a sore spot for developers once DOM3 proliferates.
-Chris "SoopahMan" Moschini
http://hiveminds.info/
http://soopahman.com/