Re: More L3 Core Comments

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 10 Sep 2003 16:47:31 -0400
To: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Cc: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 00:21, Curt Arnold wrote:
> Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 00:25, Curt Arnold wrote:
> >

> >>Interface DOMImplementationSource:
> >>
> >>I dislike the form of this interface for a couple of reasons:
> >> it
> >>requires that each implementation source to parse the features list
> >>which could have been done once for all implementation sources
> >>

> >correct, but no having a single String would requires passing a more
> >complex structure between the DOMImplementationRegistry and the
> >DOMImplementationSource.
> >
> Since an implementation probably has code to parse the feature string to
> support hasFeature(), preparsing the feature string wouldn't effectively
> reduce the complexity of an implementation.

yes, but it would increase the complexity of the API by forcing it to
represent the complex structure.

> It was fairly obvious that they should be consistent, but requiring
> duplicate implementations leaves the possibility that they aren't.
> getDOMImplementationList also appeared to be used by nothing which could
> also hide implementation errors.

Having the ability to have more than one implementation represented in
an implementation source is considered important. and regarding the use
of getDOMImplementationList, ...

> getDOMImplementations() seemed to be required of an implementation
> source but never used by a DOMImplementationRegistry.

... this is a mistake and the implementation of
DOMImplementationRegistry.getDOMImplementationList needs to be fixed to
use the method DOMImplementationSource.getDOMImplementationList.

Philippe