Re: Draft Note on DOM Support for XPath 2.0

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:20:45 -0400
To: Ray Whitmer <ray@xmission.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org

At 10:30 AM -0600 8/26/03, Ray Whitmer wrote:

>To properly call the structure a sequence, it would be necessary to
>have two different result structures, one for the convenience and one
>for the sequence, such as
>
>XPath2Sequence
>
>and
>
>XPath2Value

I would prefer to eliminate the one for convenience completely. I
don't think it's all that convenient, and causes significant trouble
when the sequence that is returned has more or less than one member.
I think it's more convenient (and much cleaner) to simple say a
sequence is always returned. Get what you want out of it. Making
everything a sequence is a significant simplification and improvement
in XPath 2.0 over XPath 1.0. I think we could take advantage of this
in the API as well.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu