RE: Last Call Issues for WD-DOM-Level-3-Events

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 12:49, Brad Pettit wrote:
> >>Let us know if you are satisfy or not
>
> I'm not satisfied. I believe it is a mistake to create such a tie
> between Keyboard events and Text events. Whether a particular device
> generates a specific character code in response to one, two, or a
> thousand keydown/keyup events should have no bearing on what text event
> is generated.

Keyboards are generating text, so tying the keyboard events to the text
events do make sense. The reverse would certainly not be appropriate. We
removed the previous added section and added the following description
to the definitions of keydown and keyup:
[[
If cancelled (Default actions and cancelable events), a keydown cannot
contribute to the generation of text events. Whether a keydown
contributes or not to the generation of a text event is implementation
dependent.
]]

>  By tying the cancelling of a keyboard event to the
> (non-)generation of a text event encourages assumptions regarding event
> ordering.
> One should not assume ordering of keyboard events in
> relationship to the textEvent. Since it would be possible for a
> developer to cancel the text event itself, there is no need to specify
> that cancelling the keyboard event should affect whether a text event is
> generated.

Applications should not assume that the keydown or keyup will contribute
to the text event generation.

Does this change resolve your issue?

Philippe