after createElement('input'), get a value

From: yj <yuh108@psu.edu>
Date: 06 Aug 2003 17:14:28 -0400
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
I am using DOM in HTML.
Like the following, I make a new Input form in <span> position.
And if a user enter a value and press a button, I like to show the value.
Making the new input works.
But, getting a value from it does not work.
I cannot find any example to get a value from a input form which is newly made in the same page.
Someone tell me what's wrong with it?

<script language="javascript>
function getValue()
   var value = document.form1.newInput.value;
   alert("your value is "+value);

function addForm()
 var newForm = document.createElement('input');

<form name="form1" ..>
<type="button" onClick="getValue();" ..>