NameList exception (Re: More L3 Core Comments)

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 06 Aug 2003 15:58:49 -0400
To: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Cc: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 00:25, Curt Arnold wrote:
> Exception clauses of getName() and getNamespaceURI() contain "number of
> nodes in the list" though the list does not contain nodes.  The expected
> behavior for negative indexes is not defined.

The index is declared as unsigned.

>   Throwing an exception on
> out of range indexes is not consistent with DOMStringList and other
> lists.

Correct. The exceptions have been removed.

>  I can understand the motivation since getNamespaceURI() could
> be null before the end of the list, however you could distinguish
> between a null namespace and end of the list since getName would be null
> at the end of the list.

getName() can return null even before the end of the list, if wildcards
are in use for example. (as indicated in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-DOM-Level-3-Val-20030730/validation.html#ElementEditVAL-allowedChildren)

The application can only rely on NameList.length in order to know the
end of the list.

This message closes issue
http://www.w3.org/2003/06/09-dom-core-issues/issues.html#arnold-6
Philippe