Re: processSubtreeModified method?

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 24 Jul 2003 10:06:11 -0400
To: "Michael B. Allen" <miallen@eskimo.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org

> DOMSubtreeModified events "may be fired after a single modification to
> the document or, at the implementation's discretion, after multiple
> changes have occured."
>
> It would be nice if there were a processSubtreeModifiedEvents function
> that would dispatch DOMSubreeModified events without resorting to
> employing another thread.  I'm using C but I can imagine with Java or
> any other language it may not aways be easy or practical to make your
> code thread safe.
>
> My UI needs to redraw when a subtree is modified but I don't want to
> introduce the complexity of using a thread to draw the UI in response
> to these events.  I would much rather just call processSubtreeModifed
> at strategic locations.

There's nothing in the spec that says that DOMSubtreeModified needs
other
threads, or even permits firing the DOMSubtreeModified events on a
different thread. Therefore, there is no need to have a
processSubtreeModifed function in the DOM Events API.

Let us know if you satisfy or not with our response,

Philippe