Re: processSubtreeModified method?

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 16:16, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> DOMSubtreeModified  events "may be fired after a single modification to the
> document  or,  at  the  implementation's discretion, after multiple changes
> have occured."
>
> It would be nice if there were a processSubtreeModifiedEvents function that
> would  dispatch  DOMSubreeModified  events  without  resorting to employing
> another  thread.  I'm  using  C  but  I  can imagine with Java or any other
> language  it  may  not  aways be easy or practical to make your code thread
> safe.
>
> My  UI  needs  to  redraw  when  a  subtree is modified but I don't want to
> introduce  the  complexity  of using a thread to draw the UI in response to
> these  events.  I  would  much  rather  just  call processSubtreeModifed at
> strategic locations.
>
> Thoughts?

>From my current understanding, all applications will use a separate
thread to redraw the view if necessary and, instead of doing so
everytime a modification occurs, will do so at specific intervals. You
put the modification events (not necessarily or only the DOM ones) in a
queue and the separate thread checks the queue to check if there is work
to be done. This permit optimizations if more than one modification
occurred. Handling the modifications and drawing actions in one thread
would result in a slow UI imho.

Philippe