DOM L3 Core and L&S Comment/Question

From: <Duncan_Stodart@insession.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:58:22 +1000
To: www-dom@w3.org
RE: "format-pretty-print" feature (for DOMWriter)

Currently the specification is not very clear on what this feature may do
and does not define the transformation so implementations can presumably
do what they want.

I was wondering if the working group had any thoughts on implemenations of
writers having to maintaining validity when this feature is switched on.
Does the DOMWriter implementation have to maintain document validity when
this feature is switched on?

In my mind the implication is no because the spec implies a transformation
occurs which in turn implies validity may not be maintained with any
DTD/Schema associated with the document.  Also maintaining validity with
any DTD/Schema makes the writing process complicated if the feature is
switched on.

Any thoughts/comments?

Perhaps the specification could be altered to make it clear whether or not
an implementation has to maintain validity.
Also, should setting the "format-pretty-print" switch of features such as
"validate"?

Thanks.