Re: Level 3 XPath doesn't feel right

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:44:57 -0500
To: "Dominic Chambers" <dominic.chambers@bigfoot.com>
Cc: <www-dom@w3.org>

On Tuesday, 10/29/2002 at 09:11 EST, "Dominic Chambers"
<dominic.chambers@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> 1. XPathEvaluator should be implemented by objects  that currently
implement
> Node, not
>     Document, since you need to have  the context node anyway, and
> node.evaluate(expr),
>     is cleaner and more OO than  document.evalute(expr, node).

In isolation, I would agree with you. However, I believe the intent was to
allow stand-alone implementations of the XPathEvaluator which could be
combined with DOMs that don't directly support this feature; the process
of obtaining the evaluator would be different but thereafter the code
would be the same, minimizing the multi-pathing/recoding needed to go from
built-in to stand-alone implementations or vice versa. If we accept that
goal, we do need to be able to pass the node explicitly.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research