RE: Event: virtual key codes

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:17:46 +0900
To: "Brad Pettit" <bradp@microsoft.com>, "Philippe Le Hegaret" <plh@w3.org>
Cc: "WWW DOM" <www-dom@w3.org>

At 18:09 02/10/02 -0700, Brad Pettit wrote:
>I question whether it's appropriate for DOM to define as many virtual keys
>as it already does. Many of these keys are very device- or platform-specific.

Yes. The question is whether to try to do something that includes
a wide range of keys on a lot of keyboards, or something that only
includes the keys on most keyboards. My tendency is for the former,
with the clear addition that a DOM implementation is only required
to support equivalents for those keys that are actually present.

>Also, you mention Unicode, which seems orthogonal to the discussion of
>virtual key codes. Aren't VK_ codes intended for key events and not
>character events? For example, there are not separate VK codes for '3' and
>'#' because they occupy the same key on the qwerty keyboard.

"On some querty keyboards" is probably slightly more precise.

regards,    Martin.