setCurrentTarget and duplicate event listeners (Was: DOM Level 3 Event's some weird stuff....)

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 02 Oct 2002 15:31:56 +0300
To: Christian Parpart <cparpart@surakware.net>
Cc: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 04:12, Christian Parpart wrote:
> I'd prever an setCurrentTarget function getting a parameter of type
> "EventTarget".

It is indeed a clear mistake in the CustomEvent interface. Even if it is
expected that every node would implement the EventTarget interface, this
module could be reuse outside the context of a DOM tree (with the DOM
CSS for example).

> Furthermore:
>
> The EventTarget's function addEventListener.addEventListenerXX does only put
> the new listener into the list if it is unique, other wise the duplicate is
> discarded. What duplicate? The old one or the new one?

Given that they are duplicate, i.e. the same event listener, does this
really matter?

> And, what's equality
> in the EventListener's object? Must the EventListener be of the same
> interface? or even the same instance (object)?

The same event listener, i.e. the same function reference is the case of
ECMAScript or the same object instance in Java.

Philippe