Re: DOM article

At 3:01 PM -0400 9/24/02, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>I recently wrote an article on the DOM with a (small) emphasis on
>accessibility. Its purposes is to expose the current situation, the
>goals of the DOM and an emphasis on accessibility. This is work in
>progress and the current version could be found at
>http://www.w3.org/2002/07/26-dom-article.html

You state:

Why can't they give you access to the content in the first place? The
reasons vary. Possibly they require a level of security that your
browser does not provide. They may have written content that can only
be read with a specific extension. Or, perhaps they include
programming code in the page that is not compatible with your browser.

These are all true but you ignore far and away the most important
reasons: the developer of the page is either unwilling or unable to
look beyond the most common browser. Sometimes this is simple
incompetence. More frequently, the page designer is more concerned
with cool features than with presenting the information in a useful
form. Sometimes it's both. Either way, the fundamental problem is not
technical. It's human, and it requires a human solution. My personal
favorite is educating management on just how many dollars their web
team is wasting and how much business they're throwing away to "look
cool."