Re: XPath DOM and XPath 2.0

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:48:42 -0500
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: Ray Whitmer <rayw@netscape.com>, michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com, WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

> XPath 2 will be compatible with XML Query since they are trying to work
> together.

Note that there is now a single document describing the Data Model shared
by XPath2 and XML Query.

(Note too that, at this time, the intent is that XSLT2 and XML Query would
have have identical querying semantics; the main differences would be in
what additional functions they support and in the fact that XSLT uses the
returned data to compose a new output document.)

> IMHO, we should delay the decision to extend DOM3 XPath to
> XPath 2.0 or go for a full Query API until we get XPath 2.0 and XML
> Query 1.0 in REC.

I think all that's being suggested is that we might want to consider
whether a few relatively small changes might allow that extension to happen
more smoothly.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research