Re: HTMLFormElement submit Method

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 27 Mar 2002 17:02:10 -0500
To: Steven Elliott <elliott@mail.cibertribe.pt>, John Keiser <jkeiser@iname.com>
Cc: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 04:57, John Keiser wrote:
> It should be defined to not fire onSubmit.  No JavaScript functions fire
> events that I know of (at least in forms).  onChange doesn't happen when
> you change .value or .checked.  It is not the user who is calling JS
> .submit().  It is the page designer.  We presume that the designer knows
> enough about his app that when he calls submit() without validating he's
> *deliberately* circumventing his stuff for whatever reason.  This gives
> the prog
>
> IE, NS4.x, NS6.x, and Konqueror work this way.  What widely-used
> implementations *do* fire onSubmit() that make it impossible to define
> it this way in the DOM?

As mentioned in the previous messages, there are differences between
implementations regarding the HTMLFormElement.submit method.
[[
In Spyglass Device Mosaic 3, the invocation of the submit() method
causes the firing of the ONSUBMIT event prior to performing its intended
semantics, and, if the event returns a value that is equivalent
(coercable) to FALSE, then those intended semantics (form submission)
are ignored.
]]
http://www.w3.org/2001/12/DOM-Level-2-issues#i6

We cannot change this implementation even if NS and IE are consistent on
this issue, therefore we reiterate our position: you cannot rely on
having an event when invoking the submit() method.

Philippe