Re: HTMLFormElement submit Method

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 27 Mar 2002 17:02:10 -0500
To: Steven Elliott <elliott@mail.cibertribe.pt>, John Keiser <jkeiser@iname.com>
Cc: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 04:57, John Keiser wrote:
> It should be defined to not fire onSubmit.  No JavaScript functions fire
> events that I know of (at least in forms).  onChange doesn't happen when
> you change .value or .checked.  It is not the user who is calling JS
> .submit().  It is the page designer.  We presume that the designer knows
> enough about his app that when he calls submit() without validating he's
> *deliberately* circumventing his stuff for whatever reason.  This gives
> the prog
> IE, NS4.x, NS6.x, and Konqueror work this way.  What widely-used
> implementations *do* fire onSubmit() that make it impossible to define
> it this way in the DOM?

As mentioned in the previous messages, there are differences between
implementations regarding the HTMLFormElement.submit method.
In Spyglass Device Mosaic 3, the invocation of the submit() method
causes the firing of the ONSUBMIT event prior to performing its intended
semantics, and, if the event returns a value that is equivalent
(coercable) to FALSE, then those intended semantics (form submission)
are ignored.

We cannot change this implementation even if NS and IE are consistent on
this issue, therefore we reiterate our position: you cannot rely on
having an event when invoking the submit() method.