Re: Comments on DOM Level 3 Load/Save

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 22:03, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>  > I tried to look back in our archives to find the exact reason but didn't
>  > find it. As far as I remember, we decided that namespaces will not be
>  > optional for the DOM Level 3 Load and Save and won't provide a way to
>  > not have namespaces in LS. Nowadays, all XML applications provided
>  > within the W3C (and a lot outside the W3C) do have namespaces support.
>  > So we classified XML applications without namespaces in our design
>  > failure category. I understand that this might be viewed as an arbitrary
>  > choice but it is also clear in our mind that the DOM 3 LS is only *a*
>  > solution to load a DOM tree and not *the* solution, especially when we
>  > don't resolve at all the problems related with the XML processing model.
>
> This seems *incredibly* arbitrary.  I can tell you now what my first
> extension will be.  I'm just not sure what to call it.
>
> Even if the spec makes a turn-off-namespaces option default to false
> (namespaces enabled) and make support for namespace-less processing
> optional, I think a lot of implementations will have a namespace-less
> mode, and it would be very helpful if there was exactly one name for
> that.

Since I'm into checking the resolutions of our f2f, let me report that
you've got your "namespaces" feature back in the LS specification (issue
LS-101 in the to-publish-asap-version). Namespace processing is required
for DOM LS implementation and is the default behavior. Being able to
desactivate namespace processing (ie being able to set the feature to
false) is not required for implementation.

Philippe